joi, 1 aprilie 2010

An Abundance of Katherines - Book Review

"An Abundance of Katherines" is written by the award-winning author John Green (award was given to his first book 'Looking For Alaska). This was his second published book and quite a favorite among young readers. Here is a brief synopsis:Colin Singleton is a child prodigy who has just graduated from high school and has subsequently been dumped by his girlfriend - Katherine #19. His penchant for dating girls who only go by the name of Katherine and his experiences over the years, make for a touching, funny, romantic and intelligent story about growing up. With his dearest friend, Hassan - a friend who dreads the thought of going to college and is content to watch Judge Judy than study - they decide to take a summer road trip which eventually takes them to the town of Gutshot, Tennessee. New friends are made, relationships are built and maybe, just maybe, Colin can finally discover the elusive Theorem that should solve the riddle of being Dumped and being the Dumpee.This type of book is good for young adults and older...but more catered towards young adults. I especially liked the characters and each unique personality. Colin is a child prodigy (read 'nerd') whose sometimes deadpan responses make for the funniest lines in the book. Hassan is a riot and makes for good comedic relief. The characters of Gutshot are all unique in their own way, and the use of footnotes (which were hilarious) helped to make this an interactive and fun read.I did not like the mathematical approach to most things. I thought that bogged down the story a little, and since I'm not a Math freak, I found it both interesting and yet weird that everyone would be related to Math. Quite fascinating actually.This book made me feel good. I laughed, I winced, I cried and rooted for two supposed underdogs of society who only seek love and acceptance in their own way. I recommend this book because it's a fun, quick and easy read for one in the mood for a romantic story with a little twist.An Abundance of Katherines was picked up on a whim, perhaps because of it's eye-catching cover, but once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down and I was immediately drawn into these characters lives and wanted to know more. It's also a book that 'teaches' not just about the human interaction, but about little historical facts, anagramming (which I think I'm becoming addicted to), cultures, languages and being willing to accept new things and changes. I think it's a definite must-read for teenagers. dr seuss cat in hat book

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu